Tuesday, May 5, 2009

May Holiday

This past weekend I had a four day weekend. Without getting political April 30 was either reunification day or the day the south fell depending on what your view of it is. And May 1st was labor day. I was just glad to have a few days to go on adventures! My freinds Becky and Kirsten who teach in other cities in Vietnam decided to come down for a visit to the great city of Vinh. I always love having people come and visit. I think Vietnam is country that you just can't quiet understand until you have been here.

One of the first things that you have to do when you visit Vinh is go to Ho Chi Minh Square! So that is exactly where I took my friends. Vinh is the birth province of Ho Chi Minh so everyone is very proud of him here. The statue that you see behind us is about 4 stories high and is the tallest statue of Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam.

We also went to the province just south of where I live, Ha Tinh. There is a stream called Xuoi Tien. When we got there my first reaction was, "Is this Vietnam?" It was quiet, cool, and filled with pine trees. I felt more like I was in Washington state then the middle of Vietnam. We hicked down through part of the stream and found a big rock that we could all sit on. It was so nice to just relax in nature, and there were only a few people that came by to yell "hello" at us. All in all I would say it was a really great weekend!!!

No comments: