Thursday, October 2, 2008

First Day of Teaching

Today was my first day of teaching. I taught two classes of speaking and pronunciation to freshman English majors. They are so cute! Most of them had never seen a foreigner before today. So I think that I scared a few students and was not understood very well by most. On their celebrity scale I am up there with Lionel Richie (which surprisingly his music is a pretty big deal over here in the student community). I had two students ask me for my autograph and one of my classes gave me a standing ovation when I walked into the classroom. I'm not kidding! I am so excited about getting to know all of my students. I think I am going to be a good teacher but it is going to take a lot of work. For one thing I have never been good at speaking slow but I'm sure I will be a master at it when I come home next summer. So I am apologizing in advance if next summer I speak to any of you like you are four years old.

I have always said that Texas is the best state in the whole United States, but last week I finally found proof that I was right!




That's right...I found Texas Grilled Beef chips in VIETNAM! Our great state is known around the world. I can not tell you the excitement that I had enjoying a piece of home here in Vietnam. I have also decided that I am going to educate my students about Texas. I think it would be a disservice to my students if I did not teach them about the best state in America. For starters today I taught all of my students the word ya'll. It was wonderful hearing a whole room full of Vietnamese students saying it. It made me feel not so far away from home.

4 comments:

Bryant Family said...

Great to hear! And I too think you deserve a standing ovation!

(By the way, it is Lionel Richie)

Paige said...

we have food that says Texas on it in Athens too! It always makes me feel a little closer to home :) Anything Mexican is "Tex-Mex"...its great! Glad you are spreading Texas pride around the world.

Love your blog and glad you are loving your job!

Maren said...

disservice? I dont know if I would use that word for this situation...

and best state in America? I'm not quite sure about that one!

Hayley Savens said...

that's cute meg...i miss you tons! texas misses you too :) y'all come back now, ya here?!?!